We just got through with Monte, Davidson and Higginbotham. Monte told me Meredith is still practicing and being evaluated. He said the medical staff will determine whether he will be able to play this weekend. Saturday starter Brooks Crawford will be the starter tomorrow. He has been the most consistent starter over the last few weeks. He started the Miami game last week in Durham and allowed just one run.
CLEMSON, S.C. - The Tigers host the Clemson Regional as the No. 1 seed with No. 2 seed Vanderbilt, No. 3 seed St. John's and No. 4 seed Morehead State.
• Who - Morehead State (37-24) vs. Clemson (45-14)
• Best Rankings - MOR - NR; CU - No. 2 Collegiate Baseball
• When - Friday (6 p.m.)
• Where - Clemson, S.C. (Doug Kingsmore Stadium)
• Watch - ESPN3
• Video Announcers - Chris Burke, Taylor Zarzour
• Listen (Radio) - WCCP (105.5 FM), ESPN Upstate
• Listen (Internet) -ClemsonTigers.com, TuneIn
• Live Stats - ClemsonTigers.com
• Social Media - ClemsonBaseball
• Tickets - ClemsonTigers.com, 1-800-CLEMSON
• Overall Record - Clemson leads 5-0 (1997-13)
• Record at Clemson - Clemson leads 5-0 (1997-13)
• Record in NCAA Tournament - 0-0
• LHP Dalton Stambaugh (MOR) vs. RHP Brooks Crawford (CU)
• The Tigers, who are 19-3 in their last 22 games, won two of three games in the ACC Tournament at Durham, N.C., last weekend.
• The Tigers are averaging 6.5 runs per game and hitting .261 with a .379 on-base percentage and 48 steals.
• The pitching staff has a 3.36 ERA, .233 opponents’ batting average and 2.24 strikeout-to-walk ratio and Clemson is fielding .975.
MOREHEAD STATE OVERVIEW
• Morehead State is led by sixth-year head coach Mike McGuire.
• The Eagles won the OVC Tournament title with a 5-1 record. They are hitting .317 and have a 5.89 ERA and .968 fielding percentage.
• Braxton Morris is hitting .374 with seven homers and 59 RBIs, while Trevor Snyder (18) and Niko Hulsizer (12) lead the team in homers.
TIGERS IN THE CLEMSON REGIONAL
• Clemson (45-14), the No. 1 seed, opens the Clemson Regional by playing No. 4 seed Morehead State (37-24) on Friday at 6 p.m., on ESPN3.
• The Tigers are the designated home team on Friday and will be in the first-base dugout for all their Clemson Regional games.
• The winner of Clemson’s game plays the winner of Friday’s game between No. 2 seed Vanderbilt (31-25) and No. 3 seed St. John's (39-15).
• Clemson is the No. 10 overall seed.
• The winner of the Clemson Regional plays the winner of the Tallahassee (Fla.) Regional from June 8-11.
• Clemson won both midweek games against Morehead State in 2013 and swept the Eagles in three games in 1997.
• Clemson is 3-3 vs. Vanderbilt. The Tigers played in the 2014 Nashville Regional and won one of three meetings in the 2017 Clemson Regional.
• Clemson is 5-1 vs. St. John’s. The last meeting was a 3-2 Tiger win in the 2007 Myrtle Beach Regional. The only game at Clemson was in 1975.
CORBIN, HAMPTON RETURN TO CLEMSON
• Tim Corbin, now in his 16th year as head coach at Vanderbilt, was an assistant coach at Clemson for nine seasons (1994-02).
• Corbin was on the staff of four College World Series teams (1995,96,00,02) at Clemson and helped the Tigers average 48 wins in nine years.
• One of the players Corbin coached as an assistant at Clemson in 1994 was Mike Hampton, now in his 17th year as an assistant at St. John’s.
• Hampton hit .380 with 11 homers, 21 doubles, four triples, 70 RBIs, 84 runs and 39 steals as a first-team All-America third baseman in 1994.
• Hampton, who played two seasons (1993,94) at Clemson and graduated in 1997, served as a Tiger volunteer assistant in 1999 alongside Corbin.
• It is the second time Corbin (2002) and Hampton (1999) have coached a game at Doug Kingsmore Stadium since their final seasons at Clemson.
• Both Vanderbilt and St. John's played in the 2017 Clemson Regional.
CLEMSON REGIONAL STRONG
• The four teams in the Clemson Regional have combined for 101 NCAA Tournament appearances (including 2018).
• Clemson is making its 43rd appearance, followed by 37 by St.John’s, 17 by Vanderbilt and four by Morehead State.
• Clemson Regional’s 101 combined NCAA Tournament berths are tied for third most of any regional, trailing Tallahassee (130) and Austin (105).
• In both 2015 and 2016, Clemson played in a regional with the most combined appearances by the teams (2015 Fullerton, 2016 Clemson).
• The 2017 Clemson Regional featured the third-most combined appearances by the teams.
TIGERS HOST REGIONAL FOR 16TH TIME
• Clemson is hosting an NCAA regional for the 16th time in history in 2018.
• Clemson hosted a regional in 2016 and 2017. From 1994 to 2011 (18 years), the Tigers hosted a regional 11 times.
• Clemson is one of only four schools (Florida, Florida State, Texas Tech) to host a regional each of the last three years.
CLEMSON’S NCAA TOURNEY HISTORY
• The Tigers play in their 43rd all-time NCAA regional when it competes in the 2018 Clemson Regional.
• The 43 appearances are fifth most in NCAA history, trailing only Texas (59), Florida State (56), Miami (Fla.) (45) and Oklahoma State (44).
• Clemson has been to the NCAA Tournament every year since 1987 except one (2008), or 31 of the last 32 years (including 2018).
• Clemson is one of only six schools in the nation to play in the NCAA Tournament each of the last 10 seasons (including 2018).
• The others are Cal State Fullerton, Florida, Florida State, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.
• Clemson has made nine super regional appearances, with its last in 2010.
• The Tigers have made 12 trips to the College World Series, with its last in 2010.
• Clemson has a 118-91 record (.565) in NCAA Tournament games.
• Clemson, Florida and Louisville are the only schools to win 42+ games each of the last three seasons.
• Clemson is 30-3 when outhitting the opponent and 12-10 when getting outhit.
• Seth Beer, Logan Davidson and Kyle Wilkie are tied for the team lead in multiple-hit games (19).
ACC TOURNAMENT RECAP
• Clemson had a 2-1 record in the ACC Tournament at Durham, N.C., from May 23-26.
• The Tigers defeated Notre Dame 21-4 and Miami (Fla.) 7-1 before falling to No. 7 Florida State 5-4 in the semifinal round.
• The Tigers set the ACC Tournament record for runs in an inning with 17 in the fourth inning against Notre Dame on May 23.
• In the 17-run fourth inning, Logan Davidson became the first Tiger in history to hit a home run from both sides of the plate in one inning.
• Clemson also set a school ACC Tournament record for batting average (.472) in a game against Notre Dame.
• Seth Beer earned All-ACC Tournament honors by going 5-for-11 (.455) with three doubles, a homer, four RBIs and a .600 on-base percentage.
• Logan Davidson earned All-ACC Tournament honors by going 4-for-15 (.267) with two homers, a double, seven RBIs and three runs.
• Chris Williams earned All-ACC Tourney honors by going 7-for-10 (.700) with three homers, two doubles, 10 RBIs and a .786 on-base percentage.
• Williams, who was also one of four national players-of-the-week by Collegiate Baseball, tied Clemson's ACC Tournament record with 10 RBIs.
THREE TIGERS NAMED ALL-AMERICANS
• Junior outfielder Seth Beer, junior righty Ryley Gilliam and sophomore shortstop Logan Davidson were all All-Americans by Baseball America.
• Beer was a first-team pick, Gilliam was a second-team selection and Davidson was a third-team pick.
• Clemson tied for the second-most All-Americans by Baseball America.
• Beer joined Rusty Adkins (1965-67) as the only Tigers in history to be a three-time All-American.
• Beer became just the fourth Tiger in history to be a two-time, first-team All-American, as he was a first-team selection in 2016.
• Beer was also named a first-team All-American by Collegiate Baseball.
HALL SHOWING HIS VERSATILITY
• With several Tigers coming down with injury late in the season, freshman Sam Hall has made the most of his opportunity to step in and start.
• He has the versatility to play in the infield and outfield. He has been the starter in left field in recent weeks.
• He is hitting .234 with two homers, three doubles, seven RBIs, 16 runs and six steals in 22 games (18 starts) in 2018.
• He has not committed an error in 36 chances, including 17 as an infielder.
• He tied Clemson's ACC Tournament record for runs (4) when he went 1-for-1 with two walks and a hit-by-pitch against Notre Dame on May 23.
To continue reading, you must be a CUTigers subscriber.See Subscription Benefits
Never miss the latest news from CUTigers!
Join our free email list